Sunday, July 5, 2009

wave/light

I begin by imagining an artwork verbally. I try to describe in writing what the project is, what it is trying to do. I need to understand the artwork without giving it a specific materiality or solid form. -- Maya Lin




When I was young I spent a lot of time either reading books
under my bed (quiet, away) or lying on top of my bed staring out the
window. There wasn't much else around. The house, built by my
father on a hill, was high enough that I could look and look,
watch the light flow and the colors in flux against the hills and sky.

Yesterday's visit to Maya Lin's Storm King Wavefield recalled
those hours. Finally the air is dry and the light is clear. You
couldn't walk in the waves, constructed and shaped out of
an old gravel pit, because the rain has dampened the new grass.
But I had a sense of flux and flow even from afar.

2 comments:

Radish King said...

I love her work. Thanks for posting the pic!

Pam said...

I'm reading and looking at her book Boundaries. She messes with borders which is something great.